POSITION: Permanent full-time
CLOSING DATE: Monday, 09 December 2019
EOS Ecology is seeking a skilled Freshwater Ecology Scientist. This is a new permanent full-time position based in Christchurch. You will be involved in a diverse range of projects across our service areas, being part of a team that has forged a reputation for consistently producing high quality outputs in the science and engagement spaces.
We are a team of 11 with a focus on positive change, utilising a robust approach with pragmatic and practical solutions. Operating within the field of surface water ecology, we have particular strengths in applied research, design & restoration, investigations & monitoring, resource consent-related work, and laboratory services; an integrated team of communicators provide design services for science & technical information. Our science and communication teams work closely together to produce a range of engagement resources and programmes with a focus on involving the community in meaningful science.
As a Freshwater Ecology Scientist your core responsibilities will be to undertake laboratory and field work, including associated tasks (e.g., collaborating with team members to develop programmes, planning & logistics, data collation, etc.). Depending on your skill level, which will be established upon appointment, you could also be involved in carrying out training, performing QA/QC, preparing quotes and reporting. You may also have the opportunity to be involved in the delivery of our science engagement programmes.
We would expect the successful applicant to have:
- A degree in freshwater ecology or equivalent;
- Passion for invertebrate taxonomy and experience identifying NZ freshwater invertebrates;
- Familiarity with NZ's standard freshwater invertebrate processing protocols;
- Experience conducting freshwater ecology field surveys;
- Confidence and ability to work safely in and around water;
- Outdoor experience and good fitness;
- The ability to follow processes and document accurately, with a strong attention to detail;
- Maturity, dedication and the ability to work under pressure;
- The ability to manage time to meet budgets and deadlines;
- Proficient computing skills;
- A current full NZ driver's licence; and
- A desire to exchange knowledge, learn and grow.
Preferred but not essential:
- 4WD experience and the ability to drive manual vehicles;
- Electrofishing license and NZ freshwater fish identification skills; and
- Detailed knowledge of MS Excel, including formulas and pivot tables.
In return, EOS Ecology can offer a friendly and energetic workplace, a supportive team environment, a good work/life balance, the opportunity to work on a wide variety of stimulating and exciting projects, the ability to grow in the role, and to be part of a successful, expanding and highly regarded provider of science and engagement services.
To be successful you must clearly demonstrate that you have the attributes outlined above. If you do, we would be very keen to receive your covering letter and CV. Please email them to Erron Henderson on email@example.com.